December 21, 2012

Happy Solstice.




The dark days are over, light the yule log.


In between the childish parts of the holiday season and the more timorous adult happenings it is good to spend a moment remembering those who will only be in our hearts in the coming year.




'And girls in slacks remember Dad/And oafish louts remember Mum/And sleepless children’s hearts are glad/And Christmas-morning bells say ‘Come!’

Poet Laureate John Betjeman (1906-1984), from his poem Christmas.








'One can never have enough socks. Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn’t get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.'

Professor Dumbledore in the first Harry Potter book by J.K Rowling.








Ladies and Gentlemen I offer a toast. To absent friends.
Schöni Fäschttäg  und e guets neus Jahr.



2 comments:

Ms. Edna (squared) said...

There are places I'll remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places had their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all…

-shamelessly quoted from Lennon/McCartney

Unknown said...

Thank you Ms Edna.